Lolighting hair is a process by which darker strands of haircolor are added to your hair to return missing dimension. While this technique is not dfficult, Minerva would like to offer her expertise:
- Using a hi-lighting cap allows your selected strands of hair to be kept seperate from your blonde hair.
Determine how many lo-lights and how much darker you would like your lo-lights to be. (You may prefer to be conservative the first time.)
- You may purchase varying sizes of "hi-lighting" needles from Sally Beauty to help you "pull through" your desired amount of hair. These look very much like a crocheing needle-the larger the "notch" the more hair they will pull through the cap.
- Using a hi-lighting cap also gives you the advantage of accepting or correcting your newly lo-lighted strands. If the color is as you desired, remove the cap, shampoo and style as usual. If however, the color is not quite right, you may continue to perfect it. More...
- Lo-lighting hair is considered corrective haircolor. For a salon beautiful finish, there are a few guidelines that when followed will give you an extraordinary rather than an ordinary finish:
- By the time lo-lights are being considered, the porosity of your hair has most likely been compromised. Taking the time to pre-condition your hair will repay in beautifully natural looking haircolor. Your lo-lights will have a longer life as well.
- In circumstances where some or all of your hair is overly lightened-resulting in an ultra white color, a smart technique is to "fill" your desired lo-lights first before the actual color. More...
- Non ammonia haircolor is the best choice when adding lo-lights to your hair. The job of permanent haircolor is primarily to lighten and then to add color to your natural haircolor. In the case of lo-lights, you are only concerned with adding color and this job is best performed with non-ammonia haircolor.
- Non-ammonia haircolor will leave your lo-lighted strands in better condition.
- Also the color will last longer.
- It is important however to follow the use of this type haircolor with professional pH balanced shampoos and conditioners. Minerva cautions that to ignore this advise is similiar to washing your haircolor down the drain.
- The process of adding lo-lights may have to be repeated several times before the color stays for a long period of time without fading. "Filling" the strands-while requiring an additional step will prolong your haircolor.